Futbol and Mac&Cheese


This past weekend, I had AFS orientation. I met new friends, and had a blast. But the fun didn't stop there. Tuesday night, I went to an official Paraguay soccer game--PY vs. Venezuela--and had tons of fun. I'm not much of a soccer fan, but the energetic atmosphere that was present en la cancha I just couldn't resist. We stayed out late (for a school night) and I wasn't exactly looking forward to waking up in the morning, but I still had loads of fun. I'd do it again, any day of the week, no problem.
The way we aquired tickets for the game was interesting. It had the same amount of shiftyness you wouldn't be able to trust from the weird-looking guy standing outside of Soldier Field minutes before the Bears game started, but to my relief the tickets were real, and worked.
I also was able to experiance Paraguayan culture at its finest: the threat of having Coke dumped over my head if I wasn't wearing a Paraguay jersey. In response to the threats, I complied and bought one, which looks quite dashing, might I say.

One might think that I had my fair share of funness and exiting things happen to me, but the fun continues. The Sullivan family sent a package of things Jorge left behind, but also included mac and cheese! I couldn't believe it, and Jorge and I spent five straight minutes jumping up and down in excitement. We had it for dinner, and man, it tastes better than EVER! I missed it so much... But we have two more boxes to go, and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

3 comments

Unknown said...

we need a pic of you in your PY shirt!!

omi said...

...have to agree with your mom - a pix would be great.

Tía Hillary said...

Super genial! I am an AFS American Abroad Returnee - lived in Asunción in 1979. Curious as to why you're July to July - the school year is Feb - Dec, so are you just going for two halves?
You live in Asunción - which neighborhood? I lived in Sajonia before (went to Inmaculado Corazón de Maria) but this summer my family here (hubby & 2 kids) were able to visit my AFS sister and her family again. They live near La Recoleta.
I actually got over most of my homesickness the first few weeks (it was HARD!) and was pretty fine after that, until it was time to go home. Home? That was Asunción!
Anyway - congrats! You are in one of the most beautiful countries in the world, filled with some of the most beautiful people you'll ever meet. Have fun, drink some tereré or guarana for me! Be excited - AFS is great!!