Did someone speed up the world?

These past three weeks have been CRAAAAZZZYYYY busy, and have absolutely FLOWN by. But that's totally cool because it means that I'm provechando-ing the last of my time here. Good deal.

This past weekend was that of my birthday! (yay.) Not at all really an exciting even, since the only thing my host family did for me was say 'Felicidades Hannah!'. I really wasn't expecting anything though. Things are tight money-wise in my house right now, so when mi abuela tipped her glass of Brahma to me and gave me a huge hug, I counted it as one of the best presents ever gotten. That or being tackled by a pile of my smallish cousins :)
Other than that, my friends Emerson and Sam bought me lunch at a restaurant here that's pretty much stapled into the culture - Lido Bar. I was running late (as usual) and my boyfriends took advantage of my not-there-ness and got the whole place to sing to me as I showed up. Pretty classy, except for the fact that I blushed tomato-red and almost tripped over my seat. The rest of the day consisted of Emerson and Sam arguing on who should pay for me, since it was my birthday and all. Definately not a day I'm going to forget though. It was a great memory to add to the Paraguay pile.

The weekend before that, we had our last AFS camp. Pretty much sad in every way, because I've truely met some incredible people this year and made some awesome friends. I noticed almost immeditately that once we got there, people clumped up into their own countries. So I was just like 'Screw this, it's an intercultural exchange, I'll hang out with everyone.' - and I did just that. It takes alot of energy to be friends/hang out with more than 70 people, but I managed. Needless to say though, I was wiped by the time it was over. Other highlights of the camp included ultimate frisbee in a tennis court (net included), tastesless, monotonous food, fancy german chocolate, dancy dirty/having a nightclub experience in the bus ride home, and dressing like Rambo. Pretty good, I think.

Two weekends ago (which seems like such a long time, considering how much time I actually have left) was the chaco trip. I went sin-amigos (without the two people who are almost always with me, Zan and Emerson) and so everyone who was there got to expierience just me. It's hard to explain, because I missed my two buddies, but I'm glad they weren't there, because I got to hang out with alot of more people as a result. Just like in our AFS camp, everyone broke up into their country groups, so I summoned up an incredible amount of energy and ran circles (literally) around everyone. I was affectionately referred to as 'la loca' because of my insane energy and desire to hang out with everyone. Highlights of that trip included an hour-long game of ultimate (dodging piles of poo), gaining an unofficial hijo (from germany), the texas chainsaw massicure, Europe appearing in the middle of nowhere, poker, German people, more German people, and learning the word for 'armadillo' in German, and playing with dead stuffed animals. Classy.

But back to the present/future....
These last few days are filled with going to school and exploring what left of the country I haven't already seen. This includes a train ride, a depressed hippo, buying a machete, pretty waterfalls, and lots of milla cocas.

Whew, long post. I promise to post pictures as soon as I can access fast internet that doesn't give me a brain aneurysm.
See you all soon!

2 comments

Anonymous said...

hannahrs, i love you its so much fun to read your blog and exactly know what you are talking about, but friendless at the chaco weekend? Dude, i was there, remember :D:D:D Love you sooo much, and you can definately expect me on your doorstep in wisconsin :D:D:D we can go to the waterpark you told me about then :D:D:D
Meliena

Juan said...

Hi , I am Juan, from CDE Paraguay , I am in Ohio now , for exchange . add me juancantero_01@hotmail.com