Tereré and poolside adventures

Summer in Paraguay is pretty much described in one word: lazyness. I've been on summer break now for around a month, I've been having sooo much fun! As most of you know, my first week of break was spent in the chaco, I worked hard and had a blast, but these other three weeks have been even more fun. I get to enjoy doing nothing until March...yay!

My AFS friends and I hang out almost every day of the week, and when I'm not with them I'm with my host brother Jorge and his friends. Most people would think that we do productive things during these times, but the truth is we don't...really. Whenever I'm at home (which isn't very often - most of the time I'm out and about doing nothing) I'm sitting by our pool getting rid of my farmers tan, listening to reggaeton and drinking tereré. (Tereré is a very Paraguayan drink that sort of tastes like tea...it's hard to explain.) But whenever I'm out with my friends, we're either at the mall hanging out drinking tereré, or at someone's house drinking tereré. As you can tell, there's lots of tereré being drank no matter what the occasion. It's the social norm to see tons of people drinking it, whether or not they're hanging out by a pool, working, or doing whatever.

Some may ask, 'Why don't we do anything?' and the answer is simple - it's just too darn hot to even lift a finger, and it's not even summer yet! For the past few days it's been around 40-45C, which is 104-115F and I've been promised by many paraguayans that it's only going to get hotter, so I've got that to look forward to.

(And I promise...there are pictures to come!)

1 comments

Tedseph said...

Oh man I am going to Paraguay next year when you leave. Reading your blog makes me want to leave sooner and forget about graduating.