Wow, I've only been in Paraguay for 2,5 weeks, but somehow, it feels longer. During orientation, AFS gives us a ton of information, including some about the 'emotional rollercoaster'. This is not a ride at Six Flags, however, it is the wave of emotions that is typical for an AFSer, such as myself. For example, in about three months, I am supposed to be super homesick, calling my parents everyday, whining about how much I miss my family, my home, and America in general. Afterwards, I should experiance a wonderful high, being blissful in the fact that I can finnally understand the native language. That's something to look foreward to... And finnally, just before I go I should be sad again, not wanting to leave. But somehow, I seem to have already experienced this.
Every day, I relish (and sometimes find it hard to accept) the fact that I'm in Paraguay, 5500 miles from home. I'm getting exactly what I paid for, in a literal sense. Daily I have school and spanish lessons, but in the rare times I am alone, my thoughts only my own, I wish to be home again. I brought my pillow with me to remind me of home, but sadly, it has lost the familiar musky scent of my bed. It now smells like the bottom of my suitcase, and a new aroma from this place I call home. I look outside my window and see nature as I do at home, but the friendly maple has been replaced by a palm tree. Sometimes I wonder why I came here, but moments later I'm answered by something/someone Paraguayan.
But as always, I try to look on the bright side of life. Whenever I feel sad, I just think 'Hey, I'm in Paraguay. How awesome is that? How many people can say they've been to Paraguay, for an entire year?' Not many, I'm sure. I have more things to be happy about than to worry about, so never fear. I'll be my normal, cheerful self sometime soon. I just have to wait for my cold to go away.

1 comments

Unknown said...

As always, you do things a little faster than the average bear. Sorry to hear about pillow, bottom of suitcase isn't the best smell! But soon it will be Paraguayan Spring.